Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Yesterday...here's hoping for a better today.

I've posted before about how get to wear many hats at my school.  I really love my job!  I love teaching!  Yesterday I learned that I am NOT a primary teacher...

My kindergarten teacher has twin boys-kindergartners.  Today they were both sick, so she stayed home with them.  My regular primary sub had already been snagged by another Lutheran school in Denver.  I don't have a very deep sub list (something I need to work on for next year...) so I called my upper grade sub.  He teaches band at a public school in the mornings, but can usually be at my school by 11/11:30 AM.  Since my assistant was out today, I had to take what I could get...here's how my day went:

6:30 AM       
Arrive at school, talk to pre-k teacher, see if she can cover in K from 8-9 AM
8-9 AM   
Teach my students (5-6 grade)
9-10 AM  
 My students go to Pastor's class, go down, get the kindergartners from pre-k & teach them.  Can't find the handwriting papers, so decide to do math instead.  Have SIX kindergartners tell me "we don't do math now, we do it after recess."  
10-10:30 AM
Send kindergartners to recess with 1-2 grade (a regular occurrence), teach 7-8 grade grammar
10:30 AM
Kindergartners come in from recess, take 7- 8 to kindergarten room, have them finish homework, figure out an improvised handwriting lesson to do with kindergartners.
10:45-11:15 AM 
Send 7-8 and 5-6 to recess with 7-8 teacher, teach bible to kindergartners.
11:15-11:30  AM
Have 5-6 bring down their homework to have study hall in kindergarten room while I finish up the morning details of kindergarten
11:30  AM
Do a happy dance when sub arrives!  

I could never teach the little ones.  I was reminded of this when I asked one child, "Jacob, what's going on?  Why aren't you participating?"  His response?  "Because I miss my mommy."  I didn't even know what to say to that...

And zipping their coats!

I'll take my awkward, sometimes attitudinal middles schoolers any day.

God bless those primary teachers!

3 comments:

  1. My school has such a hard time finding subs because now that we are closing in June, no one wants to work for less money than public schools without the possibility of leading to a job. I had to cover Kindergarten the other day too and I was legitimately scared. I seriously can't deal with the babies!!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!! Okay I spent one day with first in my undergrad and knew I could not do it..but what you did...teens and that.. bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I miss my mommy? Then, you say, "You know, sometimes I miss my Mommy, too, but she'll be back very soon! Now, tell me, what comes after 13? I think it's 9. Am I right?" Seriously, I don't know how you do junior high! I miss my Kindergarteners!

    ReplyDelete