Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Novels

Today I started novel number 2 with my students.  I have a confession...a lot of my novel study units were created by the teacher who taught in my position before I came.  She LOVED to have students look up vocabulary words.  I struggled with what to do with said vocabulary words once the definitions have been discovered. 

So this time around I decided that I would created Chapter Charts with my students.  We read a chapter and they took turns looking up words and discussing which definition was used in the reading.  We then created this...


We put the words and definitions in pretty colored clouds.  Using a boring black marker we put down what we had learned from the chapter.  This is from 5th & 6th Grade.  We're reading Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz. 

I want to figure out something like this for my 7th & 8th graders too, but I think I will run out of wall space, so the jury is still out on how their vocabulary words will look.  I'm a meany though & made them each look up two words on their own for tomorrow along with reading their chapter and answering the questions. 


1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I am getting ready to start literature circles with 2 of my 3 classes for sure this next week. I am going to integrate this somehow within their groups. I would be happy to share with you what I come up with for the novel studies.

    Katie
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete