Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tic-Tac-Toe Take Home Test Nightmare!!!

Before Christmas, my class finished the History chapter we were studying.  I knew that getting them to study for a test would be a nightmare, especially the last week we were in class.  I also knew that if I sent home an essay test, or any sort of test it would be neglected until Tuesday night  (we came back yesterday).  But I decided to do it anyway...

I created a Tic-Tac-Toe Take Home Test.  The object, choose three activities in a row and complete them.  They were pretty easy activities.  I gave it to them a week before school got out so if they wanted they could work on it during free time in school. 

It's due today.  I have two girls in my classroom during recess desperately trying to finish it.  One girl didn't even have it started yesterday!  She also didn't read her book for her book report!!!  I know she doesn't have a computer at home, but she lives across the street from A LIBRARY!  I'm so disgusted with these two right now! 

What do you do in your classrooms when students don't turn in their work--daily or long term assignments.  I HATE chasing down work and think it's ridiculous!  I even walked to the car of one of the girls dads the day I gave the test and TOLD HIM ABOUT IT!  Because she is notorious for waiting til the last minute and then just writing down answers regardless of if they are correct.  UGH!

4 comments:

  1. How annoying!!! I go through it ALL THE TIME! I'm soooooooo over chasing them down. I just give them a 0!!!!!!
    They've reached a poing in life where they need to be responsible for their work. I only go after them in the first quarter to hep them settle in, but then their on their own.

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree in not wanting to chase them down. However, our school has a policy that believes in mastery of a subject so my students HAVE to do the work. I am constantly chasing kids down, having them eat lunch in my room, staying afterschool and it makes me crazy! I have a section of my white board dedicated to work that's due with each assignment as a heading with names underneath. It is EXHAUSTING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just awarded you with the Liebster Blog Award! Head on over and check it out!

    Linda

    http://fifthgradeteacher-ld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me often (8th grade English teacher)...for me the best thing is hitting them over the head with the due date...every day more than once I remind them..one kid recently stopped me in the hall and said I know the paper is due Friday before I could say it to him.When he asked why I keep reminding him I stopped and gave him that stare and he said, Oh I forgot the last time right? They get it!! Great little blog you have here.

    ReplyDelete